Boxing

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury set for £54m each from record Saudi Arabia deal

Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury are both set to pocket £54m each from their summer blockbuster fight in a record-breaking Saudi Arabia site deal.

The British heavyweight champions of the world are finally set to step in the ring together for the first of a two-part thriller.

Joshua’s WBA, WBO and IBF belts will all be on the line, while the WBC title Fury won from Deontay Wilder last year will also be up for grabs, meaning the heavyweight division could finally be unified.

The finer details of the bout are yet to be finalised, but it is looking increasingly likely that part one will take place in Saudi Arabia, before a Wembley rematch later in the year.

And according to ESPN, the fighters are set to earn £108m from the site fee alone, which will be evenly split between Joshua and Fury, while some of the cash is being used for expenses and the undercard.

That works out to around treble the site fee that AJ pocketed for his fight against Andy Ruiz Jr.

Fury's US-based promoter Bob Arum offered an update on the fight, telling Boxing Scene: "We have [site deal] contracts now that we are marking up and so forth.

  • Denzel Bentley on boxing by the blocks he grew up in to becoming the best in Britain

"It’s a big step. We’re just doing the paperwork now with the Saudis.”

Meanwhile, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn admitted that the fight may not take place until August.

"They’ve signed the contract,” said the Matchroom boss. “We presented them both with an offer from a site, which they both approved and accepted.

"We are dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s and you will get an announcement soon, but that fight is going to be happening this summer.

Top trending sport stories right now

  • Ebanie Bridges' gruesome eye injury
  • McGregor's net worth amid Man Utd offer
  • Ben Askren's spat before Jake Paul KO
  • Inside Lewis Hamilton's weight problems
  • "We haven’t finalised an exact date, July 24 is the rough date but it may leak into early August but no later than that. The Olympics will be a different timezone so it’s not really in the mindset.

    “It is one of the biggest of all time, probably the sporting event of 2021, so fingers crossed – we are nearly there.

    “I keep saying we are nearly there but, as I said, site approved, deal approved, everything done now.

    “We are just papering it and there will be an official announcement soon.

    “It is non-stop at the moment but it is happening, it is 100 per cent happening.”

    Source: Read Full Article