Boxing: Jake Paul pulls another prank on Floyd Mayweather
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Floyd Mayweather has admitted that he could pursue a fight with Jake Paul after trading blows with the YouTube star’s brother Logan on Sunday night. The 44-year-old, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest pound-for-pound boxers in the history of the sport, is gearing up for his first bout since an exhibition victory over Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in December 2018.
Mayweather has been embroiled in a war of words with Logan for a number of months after agreeing to fight the 26-year-old at the end of last year.
The pair were initially expected to go head-to-head back in February, but the event was postponed by three months as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The eight-round exhibition will be held at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami with knockouts allowed, but no winner will officially be declared at the end of the fight and no judges will be in attendance.
Speaking about his ambitions for the year ahead on Saturday, Mayweather suggested that a meeting with Jake could soon be on the cards if he manages to avoid a monumental shock by overcoming the challenge posed by Logan on Sunday night.
“After Logan, probably Jake,” the 15-time world champion told TMZ. “We don’t know. We will see.”
JUST IN: Mayweather fight time tonight: What time is Mayweather vs Paul?
Mayweather also revealed that he is expecting to pocket around £70million from his bout with Logan, claiming that a large chunk of the purse has already made its way into his bank account.
“For the build-up so far, I’ve made something upwards of 30 million [US Dollars],” he said.
When asked if he is poised to add to his riches on fight night, he replied with a smile: “Of course, of course. Between 50 and 100 [million US Dollars], not bad for the Mayweather zone.”
The Nevada native went on to offer his verdict on the event, which has gained plenty of negative attention for the absurdity of the match-up between arguably the greatest fighter of all-time and a YouTuber with a boxing record of 0-1.
“To me, it’s a win-win but I’m in a no-win because if I knock him out fast in the 1st round, they’re gonna be like: ‘Aw man, this wasn’t worth it’,” Mayweather added.
“If I let it go a few rounds and drag it out, they’re gonna be like: ‘Aw man, he let a YouTuber hang in it for a few rounds’. But, it is what it is. We’re gonna have some fun Sunday.”
Meanwhile, Jake is set to face former UFC champion Tyron Woodley in August after scoring a first-round knockout victory over Ben Askren in April.
When quizzed on the fight, Mayweather declared that he would be willing to bring Woodley to his gym and offer his expert advice in order to try and burst Jake’s bubble.
“I would love Tyron Woodley to come to Mayweather Promotions, well, Mayweather Boxing Gym,” said the boxing legend.
“I would love to sign Tyron Woodley so he can be fighting other fighters in the sport of boxing. Not on a high, high level but on the same level as what Jake Paul is doing.
“Because Jake Paul is fighting a bunch of nobodies. So, why can’t Tyron Woodley do that and I sign him?”
Source: Read Full Article