Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton posted the fastest time in first practice for the Monaco Grand Prix.
The Mercedes driver and championship leader was .059 seconds quicker than Red Bull driver Max Verstappen on the iconic 3.3km street circuit.
Mercedes teammate Valterri Bottas was third quickest and finished .072 behind Hamilton.
Ferrari again looked off the pace with Charles Leclerc fourth ahead of teammate Sebastian Vettel.
A second practice is scheduled for later Thursday.
Mercedes has been dominant so far, placing 1-2 in all five races and with Bottas second in the title race.
Lewis Hamilton recorded the fastest time in the first practice session. Picture: Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images
There was a rare double black flag in first practice after Haas suffered with telemetry issues — the team were forced to call both Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean back to the pits early on in the session.
That certainly set their drivers back, but they still managed to finish in the top-10 with Kevin Magnussen eighth, just behind Nico Hulkenberg who finished ‘best of the rest’ for Renault.
Daniel Ricciardo, last year’s Monaco winner, was 11th in the sister yellow car.
McLaren ran into problems with Lando Norris, who finished 15th, one of many drivers to run wide into the narrow run-off areas, while Carlos Sainz only got out on track with 10 minutes remaining and propped up the time sheets.
— with Sky Sports
1. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:12.106
2. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) +0.059
3. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) +0.072
4. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.361
5. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) +0.717
6. Pierre Gasly (Red Bull) +1.064
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Renault) +1.121
8. Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +1.126
9. Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo) +1.257
10. Romain Grosjean (Haas) +1.273
11. Daniel Ricciardo (Renault) +1.307
12. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) +1.331
13. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) +1.625
14. Alexander Albon (Toro Rosso) +1.721
15. Lando Norris (McLaren) +2.172
16. Sergio Perez (Racing Point) +2.460
17. George Russell (Williams) +3.009
18. Robert Kubica (Williams) +3.408
19. Lance Stroll (Racing Point) +4.029
20. Carlos Sainz (McLaren) +48.564
Originally published as Hamilton fastest, Ferrari struggles continue
Source: Read Full Article