Anxious Formula One bosses could be forced to cancel the Vietnam Grand Prix amid growing concerns over the coronavirus outbreak.
The Chinese GP, scheduled for April 19, was postponed on Wednesday due to the deadly virus which has caused more than 1,350 deaths.
And now there are doubts over the inaugural Vietnam race, which is being held on April 5 in Hanoi, 100 miles from the border with China.
On Thursday, Vietnam health chiefs confirmed that 10,000 people had been quarantined in the village of Son Loi, 30 miles north-west of Hanoi, because there are concerns the disease could spread.
A Health Ministry statement said: "As of February 13, 2020, we will urgently implement the task of isolation and quarantine of the epidemic area in Son Loi commune. The timeline… is for 20 days."
The FIA and F1 are aware of the new developments in Vietnam and insist they are monitoring the situation.
A statement from the sport's governing body said: "The FIA is closely monitoring the evolving situation with relevant authorities and its Member Clubs, under the direction of FIA Medical Commission President, Professor Gerard Saillant.
"The FIA will evaluate the calendar of its forthcoming races and, if necessary, take any action required to help protect the global motor sport community and the wider public."
Meanwhile, F1 managing director Ross Brawn revealed on Wednesday that F1, the FIA and promoters will meet this week in an effort to salvage this year's Chinese Grand Prix.
Source: Read Full Article