Collingwood have fined Jordan De Goey $25,000 for his behaviour captured on video while partying at a Bali nightclub, with the star player apologising and admitting he had betrayed the club’s trust in him.
The hefty fine has been suspended until the end of the year, as long as the player behaves himself.
After several days of deliberation, the Magpies released a statement on Tuesday strongly condemning De Goey’s behaviour, imposed the suspended fine, and demanded he undertake further behavioural education for his conduct in addition to the counselling he was already undergoing for the incident in New York last year.
Jordan De Goey on his recent break in Bali.
“Our club’s very strong position is that disrespect towards women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it,” Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson said.
“Jordan’s actions shown in the vision shared on social media are actions we do not accept as a football club, and we are extremely disappointed to see him put himself in this position.
“We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.”
Having portrayed himself as a victim of media persecution on the weekend after the Bali video emerged, on Tuesday De Goey said he now understood his actions and was apologetic.
The Magpies have made a call on Jordan De Goey after his Bali nightclub incident.Credit:AFL Photos
He said he had been diagnosed with ADHD last year and was trying to better understand why he behaved the way he did at times.
“I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its Members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,” De Goey said.
“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the Club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.
“I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.
“My actions have fallen short of the standards expected of me as a person, as an AFL footballer and as a representative of the Collingwood Football Club.
“I had worked hard this year to establish trust and confidence in me to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I have undone that trust.
“Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do. I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing.
“I will be seeking further support to take the appropriate and necessary steps to learn and improve as a person.
“Again, I apologise for my disrespectful conduct. I understand that I have let many people down and that I have much work to do to again rebuild trust.
“I am committed to making myself the best person I can be and I believe that the best chance I have to do that is in an environment where I have the support of my teammates and the Club.”
The Bali incident prompted the Magpies to pull their contract offer to the match-winning forward-midfielder. The club had tabled an offer for two years with a trigger for a further two years on about $800,000 a year.
The club and De Goey’s management had, until the Bali incident when he was filmed partying in a nightclub, been in meaningful negotiations and De Goey had said his preference was to remain at Collingwood.
Sources said Collingwood had been made aware of two clubs that had put five-year offers to De Goey. St Kilda have expressed interest in De Goey, but have not made an offer.
Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said on Tuesday that De Goey should remain with the Magpies and accept whatever the club offered, for he needed to repay the faith the club had shown in him.
“I was of the opinion at the beginning of the year that Jordy should just take whatever Collingwood offers him and repay the faith. I am still of that opinion,” Buckley said on SEN.
“I suppose in the sub-text of that, there is I feel Collingwood should not pay top dollar for Jordan De Goey. I think they should offer him what they are prepared to pay him and that he should just accept that and say: ’Thank you for your support, for your guidance and understanding as I try and navigate my life to go from being a young man who has made some blues to a better contributor, a better person … not just on the field, but off the field.”
De Goey was given permission to travel to Bali last week for a short holiday during the team’s bye round. A video and photographs then emerged on social media of De Goey partying in a nightclub.
In the video a hand, purported to be De Goey’s, attempts to pull aside a female friend’s bikini top to expose her breast. De Goey later released a statement saying he had been wrongly persecuted.
The woman in the video said she had no issue with De Goey’s behaviour on the night, posting on Instagram that she could not “believe the backlash towards Jordy and myself”.
De Goey has been criticised for putting himself and his club in yet another compromised situation and his public response to it.
De Goey was found guilty of conduct unbecoming by the AFL in March over an incident at a New York nightclub in October last year, and ordered to donate $10,000 to the Salvation Army. The Magpies stood him down for three months when he was not allowed to train with the rest of the players, though he has returned to play 12 of the club’s 13 games this season.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.
Most Viewed in Sport
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article