Jamie Carragher names his England squad for the Qatar World Cup… with the Liverpool legend including Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips but not fellow injury doubt Reece James
- Jamie Carragher has revealed the 26 England players he would take to Qatar
- The Liverpool legend would take Man City duo Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips
- However, he would leave Chelsea defender Reece James at home
- Gareth Southgate is set to name his final 26-man squad on Thursday
Jamie Carragher has revealed that he would take Kyle Walker and Kalvin Phillips to the World Cup despite fitness concerns surrounding the Manchester City duo, but would not risk Chelsea’s Reece James.
Gareth Southgate is due to name his 26-man squad for Qatar on Thursday, and has a number of selection headaches to contemplate ahead of making his final decision.
Carragher, who featured for the Three Lions at two World Cups in 2006 and 2010, has named the players he would take if he was in charge, and has plumped for Walker and Phillips in his squad.
Jamie Carragher has named the 26 England players he would take to the World Cup
Carragher has said he would take Kyle Walker despite the defender currently being sidelined
He has also said he would pick Kalvin Phillips, who has hardly played for Man City this season
Walker has been out of action since the start of October after undergoing groin surgery following City’s 6-3 derby win against Manchester United.
Meanwhile, Phillips has been sidelined for even longer, having not played for Pep Guardiola’s side since mid-September due to a shoulder problem.
Guardiola has recently said that the pair are optimistic of being fit for Qatar, and Phillips gave a positive update on his condition on Monday, stating that ‘everything is going great’ with his rehabilitation.
The midfielder is hopeful of getting some game time under his belt when City face Chelsea in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday.
Walker and Phillips both played key roles in England’s run to the final of the Euros last year, and Carragher feels it is worth the gamble of picking them.
However, he has not found room in his squad for James, who is also facing a race against time to be in contention for Qatar after picking up a knee injury last month.
He was initially ruled out for eight weeks, which would have kept him out until the latter stages of the tournament, although it is understood that his recovery is ahead of schedule.
Carragher would not take Reece James to Qatar as the defender battles back from injury
Carragher would still leave the defender at home, though, with the Liverpool legend picking Walker, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Kieran Trippier as his three options to cover the right-back position.
Other notable absences from Carragher’s squad include set-piece specialist James Ward-Prowse and Newcastle’s Callum Wilson.
Wilson has scored six goals in 10 league matches for the Magpies this term, but has not featured for England in three years.
Carragher would like to see Ivan Toney, Tammy Abraham and Marcus Rashford all selected as back-up options for England captain Harry Kane, and has confirmed he would take in-form playmaker James Maddison.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article