Soccer

Jadon Sancho to Man Utd: Mats Hummels doubles down on Borussia Dortmund statement

Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels has welcomed comments by sporting director Michael Zorc where he claimed Jadon Sancho will not be leaving the club this summer.

Sancho is Manchester United’s top transfer target and they have been locked in talks with Dortmund over a deal for the England star.

Dortmund had set a deadline of Monday for their £108million asking price to be met.

And United failed to put up the money which led Zorc to declare from Dortmund’s training camp in Switzerland: “We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final.

“I think that answers all our questions.

“Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances.

“So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.”

United are expected to return to Dortmund with an increased offer but for now Sancho remains their player and his team-mate Hummels is delighted.

He said: “He can be the player who makes the difference. I’m happy that he stays.”

Meanwhile, former United midfielder Owen Hargreaves believes Dortmund are attempting to call United’s bluff and still expects Sancho to be at Old Trafford next season.

“Bluff! Calling the bluff, yeah,” Hargreaves said on BT Sport.

“I think he will be a Man United player in a pretty short time. [Dortmund are] trying to get a bit more money out of it, that’s just the nature of the beast.

“Obviously they know United are really interested, they’re pretty heavy into negotiations.

“But I think they’re bluffing, they know he’s going to leave at that price.”

“Everybody’s trying to do their job. I think for Dortmund, Man United know they sell all their players, they always have done for the last five or six years.

“So you can almost laugh them off and say: ‘Come on, we know you always sell your best players’.

“But because of all the players they’ve sold and all the money they’ve generated, they’re probably not in a position where – even though there’s the coronavirus – they don’t need it as desperate.

“They sold [Ousmane] Dembele for £100m so I think they can hold out a little bit longer, get a bit more money.”

Source: Read Full Article