Adelaide United’s A-League preparations are in limbo, with Reds coach Carl Veart revealing the club’s first-round clash could be postponed due to COVID-19 ramifications.
United have stopped training for at least six days as part of South Australia’s lockdown announced on Wednesday by the state’s premier Steven Marshall.
Veart said a four-day break that had been scheduled to start on Saturday week had been brought forward to be part of the enforced hiatus, and hoped the Reds could resume training next week even if the lockdown period continued for longer than six days.
However, Veart and the Reds are bracing themselves for a move to NSW similar to the Adelaide Strikers’ relocation to Coffs Harbour to prepare for the BBL season starting on December 10.
“The people in power are going quite hard at the moment and hopefully that gets on top of it, and in six days time, at the worst 14 days time, we can go back to training and be normal so we don’t have to move out of the state to train,” Veart said.
“The season is not that far away.”
Six day shutdown. Stay safe everyone!https://t.co/fwca5mjbJ3
The A-League and W-League seasons are due to start on December 27, with Football Federation Australia expected to release the draws next week.
Veart has seen a proposed draw that has the Reds playing their first match on December 29 away from home.
“We’ve got a temporary draw, (but) there’s talk of us now maybe having to miss the first round,” he said.
“If we just have a six-day lockdown and it all goes back to normal we still might be able to play in the first round, (but) it might not be until two weeks out from the first game that we know who we’re going to play and where we're going to play.
“We might just have to make do. We’re going to have to be adaptable. Everyone in the A-League’s going to have to be adaptable.”
Veart was all but certain that the Reds’ planned pre-season camp next month in NSW, where they were supposed to play trials against Western Sydney Wanderers, Macarthur FC and Central Coast Mariners, would not go ahead.
“I’d say that’d be a no-goer at the moment. We just don’t know what’s going to happen,” he said.
“We just have to get through these next six days. It’s moving so quickly at the moment. We just have to abide by the rules and see what happens.
“We just have to prepare our players as best we can.”
Source: Read Full Article