Soccer

Thomas Tuchel’s Hakim Ziyech comments proved wrong after 15-minute Chelsea cameo

Hakim Ziyech has wasted the first opportunity to prove Thomas Tuchel right after his comments earlier this week.

The Chelsea boss broke his silence regarding the former Ajax man this week, admitting his recent lack of game time was due to the strength of other players in similar positions.

Tuchel also promised Ziyech would be 'ready' when the opportunity of minutes presented itself.

“When I look at the schedule and rhythm for the next games I can be sure that we will need all of our players. Hakim had a good session yesterday and has shown he is ready," he said this week.

“When the moment comes we expect the best Hakim Ziyech."

However, during the 1-1 draw with Southampton on Saturday afternoon, Ziyech failed to take his chance.

The Moroccan international was brought off the bench in the 76th minute, replacing Callum Hudson-Odoi – who was himself only brought on at half-time.

Tuchel's message was clear – offer more than the half-time substitute.

However, Ziyech managed to actually perform than Hudson-Odoi before his surprise withdrawal.

The attacker only managed to complete three passes during his cameo.

However, the stats show the 27-year-old managed zero accurate crosses and attempted one dribble, which he didn't complete.

Ziyech also lost possession five times in the 15 minutes he was on the pitch.

The question is now whether Tuchel will bring him off the bench when a game is on a knife edge.

And Chelsea fans may now be questioning whether the former Eredivisie superstar is all they hoped he would be.

Top trending sport stories right now

  • England star 'loves sleeping pills'
  • Jockey 'took cocaine four times a week'
  • Wilder goes on 'lefties' rant
  • VanZant shares naked snap on bed
  • As for Hudson-Odoi, Tuchel insists he will be given another chance.

    “We brought in Callum Hudson-Odoi but I was not happy with his attitude, energy and counter-pressing. I took him off and we demand 100 per cent, I feel he is not in the right shape to help us," he said.

    “It was a hard decision but tomorrow it is forgotten and he has all possibilities to start against Atletico Madrid.

    “It is always a big week so it is mixed feelings at the moment, it will not be easier to score against Atletico.”

    Source: Read Full Article