Nuno confident Spurs will pull together amid struggles
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Although they started the season in flying form, Tottenham Hotspur are crumbling. Nuno Espirito Santo’s side have lost their last three league games and their only victory in normal time in their last six matches was against Slovenian side NS Mura on Thursday.
Over the summer, they appeared to achieve their priority goal of keeping Harry Kane at the club.
Manchester City were keen to bring the English striker to the Etihad Stadium and solve their goalscoring woes, after the departure of Sergio Aguero, however, they could not afford chairman Daniel Levy’s asking price of £160million.
Spurs were still fairly active in the window themselves, they brought in Emerson Royal, Cristian Romero, Bryan Gil and Pierluigi Gollini.
But they were reportedly keen to bring in another player as well, midfielder Nahitan Nandez.
JUST IN: Jurgen Klopp may have to make transfer sacrifice in long-term plan
The Uruguayan, who plays for Cagliari in the Serie A, was thought to be of interest to Inter Milan, Leeds and Spurs, and he tried to push for a move over the summer too.
However, Cagliari president Tommaso Giulini did not allow the 25-year-old to depart the club as there were no offers that surpassed his €36m (£30.7m) release clause.
Although it appeared that the ship had sailed, recent comments from Nandez’ agent Pablo Bentacur will certainly spark the interest of Santo if he is still keen to sign the midfielder.
Bentacur revealed to CalcioNapoli24 TV, via Football Italia, that his client will leave Cagliari in January.
Liverpool plotting Bayer Leverkusen transfer raid for Moussa Diaby
Tottenham pair could raise Santo’s mood and fortunes after NS Mura win
Liverpool icon Pepe Reina explains bold claim about Man Utd winner
He said: “Giulini (Cagliari president) promised the footballer and me that he would do whatever he could to sell him in January
“Nandez wants to win something, he wants to play in the Champions League. The president gave us his word, Nandez was the most expensive player in the history of Cagliari, but we know the crisis that there was.
“There are two or three clubs that will look for Nandez in January, including Napoli and I’d be happy to see him play with the Azzurri, surely.
“I think Nandez will leave for a lower price-tag than his €36m release clause. The president spoke to Nahitan yesterday and told him that he will lower his price to allow him to leave.”
If Nandez was to pick Spurs over Napoli then he certainly would not solve their issue of not having a goalscorer in midfield as the Uruguay international has scored just four times in 73 league appearances for Cagliari.
Currently, Nuno has Oliver Skipp, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Harry Winks, Dele Alli, Giovani Lo Celso and Tanguy Ndombele, though he may be without the very latter at the end of January or in 2022.
According to calciomercato.com, Roma are weighing up a shock bid for Ndombele despite manager Jose Mourinho having a poor history with the Frenchman.
The Italian boss regularly criticised the midfielder to the media and said that he was not reaching his potential at the club and had been given enough opportunities to adjust to the Premier League after his arrival from Lyon.
It is unknown whether Santo will want to keep Ndombele in north London, but if not then Spurs could be willing to take a hit on the £55m fee they paid for the 24-year-old in July 2019 in order to fund a move for wantaway Nandez.
Source: Read Full Article