Tennis

Madrid Open set to be cancelled due to rising cases in Spain

Madrid Open set to be cancelled due to rising coronavirus cases in Spain as Andy Murray calls for assurance on quarantine issues before US Open

  • The Madrid Open was scheduled to start directly after the US Open next month
  • It was supposed to be one of the warm-up events for the French Open
  • Event organisers advised by the Spanish authorities not to stage the event

The Madrid Open is set to be cancelled due to a rise in coronavirus cases in Spain.

The tournament, which was scheduled to start directly after the US Open next month, was supposed to be one of the warm-up events for the French Open.

The event organisers were advised last week by the Spanish authorities not to stage the event due to rising infection rates. 

The Madrid Open is set to be cancelled due to a rise in coronavirus cases in Spain

Meanwhile, former world No 1 Andy Murray has said that players need assurance that they would not face mandatory quarantine upon returning to Europe from the US Open before travelling to New York. 

Organisers United States Tennis Association (USTA) will set up a strict bio-security ‘bubble’ to minimise the risk of contracting the novel coronavirus during the Grand Slam, which will be played from August 31 to September 13.

The Western & Southern Open, which was relocated from Cincinnati this year because of COVID-19, will also be held in New York from August 20-28 and will serve as a tune-up for the hardcourt Grand Slam.

Mandatory quarantine would rule out players’ participation in other ATP and WTA claycourt events scheduled in Europe before the French Open from the end of September.

Andy Murray says players need assurance that they will not face mandatory quarantine

The two major claycourt events in the leadup to Roland Garros are in Madrid (September 13-20) and Rome (September 20-27).

While Spain does not require mandatory quarantine, Italy would need travellers to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the U.S. The USTA has said the organisers are working with relevant authorities to resolve issues.

‘My understanding is that it would be sorted before we go to America. But things can change in the next 10 to 12 days,’ Murray told British media.

‘Hopefully before we leave, the players will have the assurances that, when they come back from America, they won’t have to quarantine for two weeks.

‘If that is the case, and if you do well in the US Open, you can’t just arrive on the Sunday before the French Open starts on the Monday. That’s not going to work.’ 


Share this article

Source: Read Full Article